Wyche has provided health care law counseling in addition to providing a full range of representation to hospitals, physicians and physician groups, and other health care providers for over forty years. Our health care practice has included advice on Stark, Anti-Kickback and HIPAA compliance, commercial contracts, antitrust matters, certificate of need, licensing, medical staff, peer review, physician employment, patient care, physician/patient privilege, and other issues, in addition to representation of health care providers in a wide range of litigation and corporate and transactional matters.
A sampling of the numerous health care related matters we have handled for clients includes:
- Representation of a private health care company in connection with an investment by a private equity firm.
- Certificate of need representation of a hospital seeking to add beds at a remote emergency room location over 20 miles from the location of its main hospital. We assisted our client in all phases of this project, including a successful defense of the certificate of need on appeal to the South Carolina Court of Appeals.
- Representation of health care software and data storage companies with HIPAA compliance.
- Representation of a pharmacy school with health care commercial contracts
- Representation of employers and insurers regarding Affordable Care Act compliance
- Certificate of need representation of a hospital seeking to add obstetrics and build a new women’s hospital.
- Representation of physician groups in connection with formation and commencement of operations.
- Representation of relators and claimants in a False Claim Act and whistleblower lawsuit for Medicare fraud and retaliation against state university and physician practice group to obtain the largest health care settlement at that time involving the U.S. Attorney’s office in South Carolina and a multimillion-dollar award of attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Defense of major pharmaceutical companies in product liability actions.
- Representation of a coalition of hospitals and others in opposition to a proposed merger of three large hospitals.
- Representation of a physician in a lawsuit against a physician group which terminated the physician, involving compensation and medical record access issues. After extensive discovery, this matter was settled favorably to our client.
- Representation of hospitals and medical staff in federal and state court in connection with revocation or limitation of physician privileges including obtaining the affirmation of the South Carolina Supreme Court in a limitation of privileges case.