Eric Amstutz concentrates his practice in advising businesses; the negotiation, drafting and analysis of complex agreements, including business mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures and spin-offs; corporate and board governance issues; insolvency-related matters; equity and debt securities offerings; government-private sector transactions; and business practice assistance in litigation.
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Joint Ventures and Public-Private Partnerships
- Shareholder Oppression
- Outside General Counsel
- Securities and Corporate Finance
- Bankruptcy, Insolvency and Creditor's Rights
|1978, J.D.||Yale Law School|
|1975, B.A.||Swarthmore College, with highest honors, Phi Beta Kappa|
|1971||Groton School, summa cum laude|
- Advised several public companies and their boards of directors respecting mergers, acquisitions, spin-offs, proxy contests, tender offers, debt and equity securities issuances, exchange offers, corporate governance, related party transactions, syndicated bank financings, distressed financial circumstances and SEC filings.
- Represented the developer of Greenville’s downtown 15,900 seat arena (now known as the Bon Secours Wellness Arena) in structuring the private-public relationship and negotiating the primary contracts and financing documents.
- Represented the private developer in negotiating the development, program management and construction management agreement with the School District of Greenville County for its $1 billion facilities construction program.
- Represented non-controlling owners of a nationally-known real estate resort development company in their purchase of the controlling owners’ equity interests and resale of all equity interests to a third party purchaser in settlement of a minority shareholder oppression lawsuit.
- Represented the independent directors of a corporate owner and operator of several high-end golf course properties in the corporation’s senior debt restructuring efforts.
- Represented a director, officer, majority owner and guarantor in the Chapter 11 proceeding of a product distributor.
- Represented a significant manufacturer in outsourcing a portion of its operations and subsequently in unwinding the outsourcing relationship.
- Part of the Wyche team that represented ESOP participants in ERISA class action against plan fiduciaries and others, which resulted in significant settlement for the benefit of class members.
- Part of the Wyche team that represented South Carolina Senate and state government utility oversight agency in litigation against major electric utility concerning abandoned nuclear power plant.
|1979–80||Law Clerk, Hon. Potter Stewart, Associate Justice, United States Supreme Court|
|1978–79||Law Clerk, Hon. Gerhard A. Gesell, United States District Court for the District of Columbia|
- United States Supreme Court, 1985
- South Carolina Bar, 1981
- District of Columbia Bar, 1980 (currently inactive)
- South Carolina State and Federal Courts
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Corporate/Transactional Practice Group Leader, 2002-2012
- United Way, Financial Stability Council, Member, 2010-2018; Strategic Investment Committee, Vice Chair 2018-present
- Greenville Local Development Corporation, Member of Board of Directors, 1997-2011; President, 1999–2002
- The Peace Center Foundation (Greenville’s Performing Arts Center), Member of Board of Trustees, 1985–2001; Member of Executive Committee, 1990–2001; President and Chairman, 1996–1998; Treasurer, 1985–1995; Chairman of Finance Committee, 1988–1995
- Community Foundation, Grants Review Committee, Member, 2011
- Phillis Wheatley Association, Member of Board of Directors, 2006–08; Member of Finance Committee, 2006–08
- Greenville Symphony Association, Member of Board of Trustees, 2000–06; Chairman of Long Range Planning Committee, 2002–06; Chairman of Governance Committee, 2004–06
|2020||Named “Greenville Best Lawyers Corporate Lawyer of the Year”|
|2015||Named “Greenville Best Lawyers Corporate Governance Law Lawyer of the Year”|
|2012 – Present||Recognized as “Legal Elite” by the Greenville Business Magazine|
|2012 – Present||Listed in South Carolina Super Lawyers|
|2005 – Present||Listed in Chambers USA|
|2005 – Present||Listed in Best Lawyers in America|
|2009||Named “Greenville Best Lawyers Corporate Lawyer of the Year”|
|2006||Greenville Symphony Association Outstanding Board Member Award|