Plaintiff’s Personal Injury Practice
Wyche has had a significant plaintiff’s personal injury practice throughout our history, representing individuals who suffered serious bodily injury as a result of the negligence or wrongdoing of another individual, business entity, or governmental agency. In recent years, Wyche personal injury lawyers have obtained multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements for many injured South Carolinians. Our personal injury lawyers have also become increasingly involved in plaintiffs’ advocacy groups, including the South Carolina Association for Justice (formerly the South Carolina Trial Lawyers Association), of which Wyche attorney Matthew Richardson has recently served as President.
Wyche personal injury attorneys have experience litigating cases that involve product liability, motor vehicle collisions (including Interstate highway accidents involving tractor trailers), aircraft crashes, boating injuries, cycling injuries, and catastrophic slip and fall and premises injuries. In addition to being retained directly by injured individuals, Wyche is also often engaged by co-counsel in cases involving catastrophic injuries, complex legal or scientific issues, or matters of first impression, to bring its resources and skill to bear on the case. Plaintiffs’ cases are typically taken on a contingent fee basis, and a Wyche attorney will review your case at no charge. Please send all inquiries to John Moylan, the head of our Plaintiff’s Personal Injury practice.
Representative personal injury cases include:
- Obtained a nearly $1 million settlement in a personal injury case in which our client was severely injured by the defective design of water skiing equipment.
- Represented a South Carolina cyclist who was hit by a commercial vehicle and suffered traumatic injuries. The client, a student at the University of South Carolina, was cycling home after work when he was run over and dragged underneath the vehicle. The case settled before trial with the defendant paying the full limits of its insurance policy.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a widow and her children resulting from the alleged negligence of a South Carolina police department in conducting its investigation of her husband’s death.
- Represented an injured South Carolinian who fell down a flight of stairs in a restaurant. The stairs lacked a handrail and the resulting fall fractured the man’s skull and resulted in catastrophic brain damage.
- Represented a client who was injured in an Interstate highway accident involving a tractor-trailer collision, obtaining a pre-trial settlement of $500,000.
- Have represented numerous individuals injured in automobile accidents. One example is a case in which our client was seriously injured when her car was cut off by a tractor-trailer making a delivery on a local highway. The case settled for $200,000. Another example is a case where a large SUV, operated by a driver who was allegedly distracted while eating a sandwich, rammed the rear of the car in which our client was a rear-seat passenger, totaling the vehicle and resulting in severe internal injuries to our client, including several days in intensive care. The case settled for the full limits of the liability insurance policy of the at-fault driver.
- Represented a family suffering injuries as a result of mold in their new home, the growth of which was caused by the negligent installation of the HVAC system by the builder. One of the clients suffered respiratory problems caused by the mold, and the case settled for $200,000.
- Represented a woman who suffered a broken wrist and a torn ligament in a trip-and-fall at a local fast food restaurant, caused by restaurant employees who carelessly left large boxes around a corner in a hallway of the restaurant, obtaining a substantial settlement on her behalf.
- Represented a young woman who was injured by defective glass installed at a local activity center, obtaining a favorable settlement on her behalf.
Please note: Reference to these matters should not be considered as any sort of guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of any other legal matter, regardless of any similarities. The outcome of a particular case cannot be predicted upon past results, as every case is different and must be evaluated separately, upon a variety of factors unique to each case. In addition, the cases listed on the web site are illustrative only, and do not represent all of the cases that the law firm or the lawyers have handled. For further information, please read our full legal disclaimer.