In connection with a business’ decision to establish a new facility or expand an existing operation in the State of South Carolina, Wyche recognizes the vital importance of obtaining economic incentives from state and local governments. We have developed a comprehensive and integrated array of legal services in this area to assist our clients.
We have substantial experience with fee-in-lieu-of-taxes transactions and other incentives with the State of South Carolina, counties and municipalities.
Examples of transactions by the Economic Development and Incentives practice group include:
- Representation of a major foreign-based electronics manufacturer in the development of its manufacturing facility in Greenville County, South Carolina.
- Representation of a sports company in the development of the new sports arena in Greenville County, South Carolina.
- Representation of the developer/owner of Greenville’s major downtown hotel and convention center.
- Representation of a major electronics component manufacturer in a $400 million fee-in-lieu-of-taxes transaction in Greenville County, South Carolina.
- Representation of a textile manufacturer in the acquisition of approximately 20 existing plants in the southeast.
- Representation of a major chemical manufacturing facility located in Charleston, South Carolina in connection with the expansion of its plant and a related $350 million fee-in-lieu-of-taxes transaction.
- Representation of a national manufacturer of pet foods in connection with the acquisition of a plant in Columbia, South Carolina and a related fee-in-lieu-of-taxes transaction.
- Representation of a major textile manufacturer in obtaining property tax reductions on new equipment to be installed in plants located in several counties in South Carolina pursuant to the fee-in-lieu-of-taxes statute.
- Representation of one of South Carolina’s largest publicly traded companies in connection with the development of a corporate headquarters campus.
- Representation of an out-of-state manufacturer in connection with the construction of a new manufacturing facility in Georgetown County, South Carolina involving a $100 million project investment
Josh Lonon leads the Wyche, P.A. Commercial Real Estate Practice Group as chair, its Economic Development and Tax Incentives Group as co-chair, and the firm’s Spartanburg, South Carolina office. He regularly serves as lead counsel for national and regional companies, both public and private, local and statewide developers, and higher education institutions and other non-profits,…