Wyche has a long history of providing legal services to South Carolina’s counties, cities, and state government and also to private clients with governmental needs. As a full-service firm with a deep bench, Wyche can quickly and deftly handle a wide range of issues from constitutional challenges and politically sensitive matters to everyday matters, such as drafting and reviewing contracts, and providing proactive advice and counseling.
Wyche has years of experience resolving issues specific to governmental entities, including the following listed below. In fact, Wyche attorneys have been involved in every statewide redistricting case in South Carolina during the past 20 years.
- Constitutional challenges involving both county and state government
- Contract disputes
- Election disputes and ballot access
- Insurance coverage disputes
- Municipal employment disputes
- Redistricting litigation
- Representation before the State Ethics Commission
Representative engagements include:
- Successful representation of Florence County before the South Carolina Supreme Court in a challenge that was brought by the Attorney General of South Carolina to its Capital Project Sales Tax.
- Representation of Anderson County in action against former county administrator seeking to invalidate severance package given to him by outgoing county council.
- Representation of Fairfield County in defending election challenges brought by unsuccessful candidates for county council and for school board. The losing candidates raised numerous challenges to Fairfield County’s voting machines and methods of counting ballots. The cases were ultimately decided by the South Carolina Supreme Court, which ruled in favor of Fairfield County and ordered the challengers to pay Fairfield County a portion of its attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Representation of Fairfield County in redistricting litigation; providing advice and preparing submissions to the Department of Justice in the countywide redistricting process.
- Representation of Beaufort County School District in action against its insurer, seeking to obtain coverage for settlement of several cases brought by former students alleging sexual molestation by former teacher. Wyche obtained partial summary judgment in Beaufort County’s favor and have won an initial appeal preserving that ruling.
- Representation of Colleton County, the lead plaintiff in the redistricting lawsuit brought after the 2000 census.
- Representation of Florence County in multiple constitutional challenges brought by the Florence County Treasurer.
- Successful representation before the South Carolina Supreme Court of The Central Midlands Regional Transportation Authority (CMRTA) in a challenge brought to its Local Option Sales Tax.
- Successful representation of the South Carolina Association of Governmental Organizations (SCAGO).
John C. Moylan
John represents both plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal court and has frequently argued before the South Carolina Supreme Court. He has a diverse litigation and appellate practice, handling matters related to the False Claims Act, health care, personal injury, and business litigation. He also represents governmental clients, such as county and state governments,…